Google Chrome browser is one of the most widely used browser among the Internet users. Either it may be a mobile or a desktop or a tablet, Chrome is the popular choice. Google Chrome has got its own cool features along with the most customizable features and well-known for its smooth performance on any device. Moreover, your bookmarks, history and other tabs can be synced and can be accessed across many platforms.
Google has been striving hard to make Chrome much better and over throw its rivals like Mozilla, Opera and Safari. Having many tricks and cool features up its sleeves, Chrome has been popular mainly because of its features like vast extensions and web apps support, plugins combined with the Google services. Even Google’s Chrome browser has got its issues like power drain which Google has promised to sort it out. Since its inception, Chrome has been concentrating mainly on the data security and performance over all the platforms.
Google Chrome team is trying to sort out the issues on Android app like increasing the start-up speed and avoiding memory leaks. Google is also experimenting some cool features that would make your browsing experience smoother and interactive. Even the recently rolled out Google Chrome versions have many cool features while few of them hidden. It needs a little exploration to experience these features. Don’t worry we will help to explore these features in this post. Let’s start exploring the cool Chrome browser and feel the smoother experience along with a simple game.
Switch to Good Ol’ tab View
Chrome browser came up with few changes in functionality in the Lollipop update on Android. The Chrome tabs have been integrated with the Recent list that made users feel uncomfortable, as the tabs gets arranged randomly when multiple tabs were open. This change in the tabs arrangements is quite confusing as it creates confusion to pick the required tab from the large recent list. Don’t worry you can switch back to the old style of switching tabs. There is an option to disable or enable this feature.
- Tap on Menu icon (appears as three dots) on the top right corner of the app.
- Select the Settings menu and tap on the Merge tabs and apps option.
- Next toggle the switch to disable the merge option.
Now the Chrome browser restarts and you can find the old tabs without the merge feature. That’s it.
Swipe to switch
You are now back to the classic mode with the old style of tabs. Are you still opening the stacked list of switch between tabs? Here is a trick to switch between multiple tabs easily. Just swipe your fingers left or right on the tool bar at the top of the Chrome to switch between tabs. Simple isn’t it?
If you want to view the stacked list of the opened tabs swipe down on the tool bar.
Reduced data usage
If you are depending on data plans for browsing then this feature is one of the best option for you to reduce the data usage while browsing. Chrome browser comes up with option to compress the pages while surfing. Once this option is enabled the page requests will be sent through Google servers which compresses the page size before sending to browser.Here is how you can enable this data compression option.
- Tap the Menu icon on the top right of the browser and select the Settings option.
- Scroll to the bottom of the list and tap on the Reduce data usage option.
- Tap on the toggle switch to enable this feature. Once the switch is toggled a graph will appears showing the amount of data saved after enabling this feature.
Around 25 to 40% of the data can be saved and thereby helps you to browse more data on limited data plans.
Pinch to zoom on any site
Users feel really annoyed most of the times when the mobile website come with smaller fonts. Most of the websites restrict the users to zoom in. But don’t worry Chrome has got an option to help the users to zoom in and out while browsing any website. So this is how you can enable this feature:
- Tap on the Menu icon and select the Settings option.
- Go to Advance menu and select Accessibility settings.
- Tap on the “Force enable zoom” option to enable this feature.
Text scaling value can also be adjusted as per the user readability in the Accessibility menu.
Bookmarks on your home-screen
Its better to add the website bookmark to the home-screen than just looking in the pool of bookmarked sites. You can simply add a bookmark to the home-screen by the below process.
- Navigate to the website which you want to bookmark.
- Tap on the Menu icon on the top right corner of the Chrome browser and select Settings option.
- Edit the name of the bookmark and select OK.
That’s it an icon will appear on your home-screen and you can simply reach your bookmarked site with one simple click.
Experience the hidden features
For a better functionality and smoother experience you can access these features. Just type chrome://flags in the URL bar to start experimenting the new features and select the features which you like. However, these are experimental features, so choose wisely.
- Turbo boost your browser: Do you feel that your browser isn’t speed enough? Then just search for the Maximum tiles for interest area option in the flags page and allocate either 256 MB or 512 MB RAM to Chrome depending on your device’s memory capacity. This will fix an amount of RAM to Chrome so that you get a smooth browsing experience.
- Reader mode: You may confront few websites which are less optimized and with no readability options. In such cases you can enable the Enable Reader Mode Toolbar icon to improve the readability. Once this option is enable an ‘A’ symbol icon will appear in the toolbar when you open websites which have no readability options. Selecting the icon will make the website to appear in reader mode.
There are many more features hidden in the chest of the browser which you can start experimenting one by one. Its better to experiment these feature one after other as it may also deteriorate the browser performance.
Play the Dinosaur Game
Well, what use is a browser when there is no Internet connectivity? This is not true in case of Google Chrome as Google added a simple yet interesting Dinosaur game to entertain its users all the time even when you go offline. Just tap on the screen to make the dinosaur jump over the cactus plants. Enjoy the never-ending game until you are back to online.
That’s all! Reach us in the comments section below for any queries or assistance regarding the process in the tutorial. Also, do suggest any modifications or additions to this simple guide, your feedback is important to improve our content and services.
If you find our post useful, kindly share this post with others using the share buttons below. Remember, Sharing is Caring!