It’s no surprise that whenever a new Android device is out in the market, users are rushing towards rooting their device and making all the tweaks. The recently launched OnePlus 2 is no exception to this even with a Snapdragon 810 processor and 4GB or RAM. Rooting a device will unleash the hidden raw power inside the device which can be put to good use. Even though OnePlus 2 is still rolling out in phases due to the invite system, we will see how to unlock its bootloader.
Unlocking the bootloader will let you flash system images on your device thereby helping you recover your device in case of a brick. Moreover, to install a recovery, you need to unlock OnePlus 2 bootloader and flash the image file via fastboot commands. So, you can say that the bootloader is the portal to unleash the awesomeness on your OnePlus 2. Without any further ado, let’s see how you can unlock the bootloader on your beloved OnePlus 2.
Note: Unlocking the bootloader on your device will wipe the entire device including the internal storage. So, make sure that you have backed up everything on your device before proceeding.
Unlocking the bootloader on your device might void the warranty of your device. You alone are responsible for the consequences, we won’t be liable for any damages occurred to your device even though we’re confident that the process works and is tested by many users. However, you can reach us for assistance in the comments section.
- Charge your device above 60% to make sure it doesn’t die in the middle of the process which may be fatal sometimes.
- Make a backup of everything on your device so that you can restore the files if something goes wrong. Here’s the usual checklist:
- Install proper drivers on your PC. If you haven’t installed them already, you can follow our detailed USB driver installation guide.
- Setup ADB and Fastboot files on your PC. If you don’t know how, follow our detailed guide on how to setup ADB and Fastboot on your PC.
- Prepare your device:
- Enable developer options: Go to your device’s Settings » About phone » Scroll to the bottom and tap on “Build number” seven times to enable developer options.
- Enable USB Debugging: Go to your device’s Settings » Developer options » tick the “USB debugging” check-box (sometimes listed as Android Debugging)
Step-By-Step Installation Guide
In this guide, we will unlock the bootloader on your OnePlus 2 device. Make sure that you have backed up everything on your device.
Unlock OnePlus 2 Bootloader:
- Connect your OnePlus 2 to the PC using a USB cable and make sure it’s detected. If not make sure that you’ve installed proper USB drivers and enabled USB debugging.
- Once detected, tap on the USB icon in the notifications panel and select MTP file transfer mode.
- Open the command prompt in the PC and type the below command:
- To confirm that your device is recognized by ADB, a message will appear “List of devices attached” along with your device serial number.
- Once you find your device’s serial number appearing in the message then type the below command in the command prompt to reboot into fastboot mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- Now, type the below command to unlock the bootloader.
fastboot oem unlock
That’s it. You have successfully unlocked the bootloader on your OnePlus 2 device.
That’s all! Reach us in the comments section below for any queries or assistance regarding the process in the tutorial. Also, do suggest any modifications or additions to this simple guide, your feedback is important to improve our content and services.
If you find our tutorial useful, kindly share this tutorial with others using the share buttons below. Remember, Sharing is Caring!