Samsung Galaxy S7, the latest addition to the Samsung’s flagship lineup this year is a great success in the smartphone market. The device comes with a 5.1-inch AMOLED screen with QHD resolution, 4GB of RAM, 12MP rear camera and 5MP front camera. As usual, the Galaxy S7 comes in two processor variants, Qualcomm Snapdragon and Exynos Octa-core processor. In this article, we talk about how you can install TWRP on Galaxy S7 Exynos ( (G930F/FD/X/S/W8)) variants.
TWRP recovery is one of the most popular custom recoveries which has a simple interface with powerful features. You can use it to flash ROMs, mods, backup & restore the device completely, wipe data or create partitions on your device. In this article, we’ll only see the TWRP installation on Exynos Galaxy S7 as the Snapdragon variants haven’t got their share of TWRP. Snapdragon variants come with a locked bootloader from their carriers, which will make it hard for any tinkering business. However, there are rumors about T-mobile is in talks with Samsung on getting unlocked bootloaders on their devices.
So, if you’re ready to install TWRP on Galaxy S7 Exynos variants, let’s begin with the tutorial.
- Charge your device above 60% to make sure it doesn’t die in the middle of the process which may be fatal sometimes.
- Make a backup of everything on your device so that you can restore the files if something goes wrong. Here’s the usual checklist:
- Install proper drivers on your PC. If you haven’t installed them already, you can follow our detailed USB driver installation guide.
- Prepare your device:
- Enable developer options: Go to your device’s Settings » About phone » Scroll to the bottom and tap on “Build number” seven times to enable developer options.
- Enable USB Debugging: Go to your device’s Settings » Developer options » tick the “USB debugging” checkbox (sometimes listed as Android Debugging)
- Enable OEM Unlock: Go to your device’s Settings » Developer options » tick the“OEM Unlock” checkbox.
- Download Odin.
- Download TWRP custom recovery for Galaxy S7.
- SuperSU (for root access on your device).
- dm-verify and force encryption disabler (if you don’t want root access on your device).
How To Install TWRP on Galaxy S7 Exynos Variants
- Download the TWRP file for your Galaxy S7 (Exynos variant) device. You’ll find the Odin flashable firmware either in .tar or .tar.md5 format.
- Download the Odin zip file and extract it on your PC. You will get the following files in the folder (Files may change with the version):
- Odin3 vx.xx.exe
- Double-click the Odin3 vx.xx.exe file to open an Odin window.
- Now boot your device into download mode. To do this:
- Power off your device and wait until the device is fully switched off.
- Press and hold ‘Volume Down + Home + Power’ buttons together and release them when you see a warning screen shows up on your device.
- At the warning screen, press the Volume Up button to accept the warning and boot into download mode.
- Connect your device to the PC using a good quality USB cable.
- As soon as you connect the device, the ID:COM port on Odin window should turn Blue or Yellow depending on the Odin version you’re using. You’ll also see an “Added!!” message in the message box.
If neither of this happened, please go back and make sure you’ve installed drivers and enabled USB debugging on your device. In case that didn’t help, try the below tricks:
- Uninstall and reinstall the Samsung USB drivers on your PC.
- Reboot your PC and try using different USB cables and different USB ports on your computer.
- Reboot your device and turn off USB Debugging, turn it on again. Then reboot to the download mode again.
- Now click the AP button in Odin and select the firmware. To do this:
- In the Options section, make sure that only the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time boxes are checked and everything else are unchecked.
└ Note: Do not check the Re-Partition box unless you have a .PIT file to flash or it might corrupt the partition table and leave your device bricked.
- Once everything seems fine, just click the Start button on Odin to start the installation. The flashing might take a few seconds to a matter of minutes depending on the firmware size.
- If everything goes well, you’ll see a success message such as PASS! or RESET! on Odin. Your device will restart automatically after the process is completed.
- Now press and hold Volume Up + Home + Power buttons for few seconds. This will boot you into the TWRP recovery.
- In TWRP, you will be on a screen asking you to allow system modifications. Swipe Right to continue. This will trigger the dm-verity and you won’t be able to boot your device until you install either SuperSU or dm-verity and force encryption disabler on your device.
- If you want to root your Galaxy S7, you need to flash the SuperSU file and make your system bootable.
- If you don’t want to root your device, you will need to flash ‘dm-verity and force encryption disabler in order to make it bootable.
- Click on Wipe option and then swipe to format data on our device. Reboot the recovery once you’ve made a wipe.
- Download the SuperSU zip file or the ‘dm-verity and force encryption disabler.zip‘ from the download section. Copy them to your device by connecting your device to the PC. (TWRP allows you to use MTP mode)
- In the TWRP recovery, either install SuperSU.zip file or dm-verity and force encryption disabler.zip and then swipe to confirm the installation.
- Reboot your device and wait until it boots up.
That’s all! Reach us in the comments section below for any queries or assistance regarding the process in the tutorial. Also, do suggest any modifications or additions to this comprehensive guide, your feedback is important to improve our content and services.
If you find our tutorial useful, kindly share this tutorial with others using the share buttons below. Remember, Sharing is Caring!