Stunned by the decay of Cyanogen partnership with OnePlus, many users (including me) saw no future for the OnePlus One. However, things worked out pretty well, and Cyanogen decided to still support the OnePlus One for another year or two with constant updates. However, OnePlus has kept a bad record for providing software updates in the recent past, which irks some users like me.
Although there isn’t any workaround fix to provide faster and better updates for your OnePlus One, the blooming community on XDA and OnePlus Forums have proved that they don’t require special assistance in order to provide the experience of a fresh new ROM, or even a new OS. Yes, you heard it right, some amazing developers over at XDA have ported a homemade Marshmallow build to the beloved underdog of OnePlus, the One.
We still don’t insist you just go ahead and install this ROM without giving a thought to it. This is a homemade ROM, meaning that everything’s not perfect. Some glitches can be easily found here and there. Even the developer claims that if you totally depend on your OnePlus One, then giving a thought while installing this ROM might be good. However, many users have claimed that the some bugs found are totally bearable, and the ROM is stable as of now. So, here we are with the tutorial on how to install Marshmallow on OnePlus One.
- Ensure that you have a OnePlus One which is already rooted, and with a Custom Recovery installed. To do so, follow our guide for detailed steps on how to Unlock its bootloader, flash TWRP recovery and finally root it. It has been linked above.
- You need the ROM file in order to flash AOSP-based Marshmallow. Download.
- Make sure to take a nandroid backup of your device and a backup of internal memory too (just in case). Flashing this ROM on your OnePlus One will require you to wipe off everything from your device.
Step-By-Step Installation Guide
- Download and transfer the AOSP-based Marshmallow ROM file with the Zip extension that you downloaded earlier, to your OnePlus One.
- Boot your device into recovery mode. To do this:
- Switch off your OnePlus One.
- Now press and hold the Power + Volume Down buttons simultaneously until you see the Recovery UI on your device.
- Once you see the Recovery UI, you can let go of the two buttons.
- Now we should do a full wipe on your device. To do this:
- In the recovery menu, tap on Wipe option and select Advanced wipe.
- Check the dalvik-cache, system, data and cache partitions from the list.
- Now swipe the “Swipe to wipe” bar to wipe the selected partitions.
- Navigate back to main menu and tap the Install button, and find and locate the ROM file that you’ve downloaded and transferred earlier on your OnePlus One.
- Select it, and swipe to flash the ROM.
- Wait for a moment until the flashing process is done.
- Once done, reboot your freshly flashed OnePlus One. Note that the first boot might take up to 5 minutes.
That’s all! Reach us in the comments section below for any queries or assistance regarding the process in the tutorial. Also, do suggest any modifications or additions to this simple guide, your feedback is important to improve our content and services.
If you find our tutorial useful, kindly share this tutorial with others using the share buttons below. Remember, Sharing is Caring!