Just recently, Motorola finished up launching a bunch of new devices, including the Moto X Style and the Moto X Play devices. Among the many device Motorola has launched this year, the most powerful one is the Moto X Style, or the Moto X Pure Edition (in some regions). The Moto X Style is the flagship device from Motorola which is going to pave its way to success. Better late than never, this is our guide on how to unlock bootloader, flash TWRP and root Moto X Style.
Before we begin with the rooting tutorial, we recommend you to follow the below knowledge articles to learn about rooting, custom recoveries and their pros & cons.
Rooting a device and installing custom modules is deemed hazardous and you might end up with a bricked device in worst case scenario. Warranty may be void of your device either temporarily or permanently if you follow the procedure in this tutorial. You alone are responsible for the consequences, we won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device even though we’re confident that the process works and is tested by many users. However, you can reach us for assistance in the comments section.
- Charge your device above 60% to make sure it doesn’t die in the middle of the process which may be fatal sometimes.
- Make a backup of everything on your device so that you can restore the files if something goes wrong. Here’s the usual checklist:
- Install proper drivers on your PC. If you haven’t installed them already, you can follow our detailed USB driver installation guide.
- Setup ADB and Fastboot files on your PC. If you don’t know how, follow our detailed guide on how to setup ADB and Fastboot on your PC.
- Prepare your device:
- Enable developer options: Go to your device’s Settings » About phone » Scroll to the bottom and tap on “Build number” seven times to enable developer options.
- Enable USB Debugging: Go to your device’s Settings » Developer options » tick the “USB debugging” check-box (sometimes listed as Android Debugging)
- Download the latest TWRP recovery for the Moto X Style → Download Link
- Download SuperSU zip → Download Link
Step-By-Step Installation Guide
In this guide, first we will unlock the bootloader on your Moto X Style and install a custom recovery of your choice. Then we will install the SuperSU file to obtain the root access on your device. So, without any ado, let’s start with the guide.
Phase 1: Unlock the Bootloader
Unlocking the bootloader on the Moto X Style would wipe the entire device, so it’s important that you take a thorough backup of your device before proceeding with this guide.
- Connect your Moto X Style to the PC using a USB cable and make sure it’s detected. If not make sure that you’ve installed proper USB drivers and enabled USB debugging.
- Once detected, tap on the USB icon in the notifications panel and select MTP file transfer mode.
- Open the command prompt in the PC and type the below command:
- To confirm that your device is recognized by ADB, a message will appear “List of devices attached” along with your device serial number.
- Once you find your device’s serial number appearing in the message then type the below command in the command prompt to reboot into fastboot mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- This step is only Motorola-specific. Now you need to obtain a special code in order to continue with unlocking your device’s bootloader. Type in the following code to attain the unique string.
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- Once you have the string, note it down, and head over to this link redirecting you to Motorola.
- All you need to do is log into your Motorola account, and enter the unique string code you’ve attained just seconds ago. Now, head over to your E-Mail account, and copy down the code you get from Motorola’s website.
- In CMD, type in the following code, and replace the letters ‘unlock key’ with the actual key you got instead.
fastboot oem unlock key
That’s it. You have successfully unlocked the bootloader of your Moto X Style.
Phase 2: Install TWRP Recovery
- Connect your Moto X Style device to PC via USB cable.
- Open the command prompt in your PC and type the below command to confirm your device was detected by the PC.
If everything is good, a message will appear “List of devices attached” along with your device’s serial number. If your device is not visible, then try reconnecting your device again and type the above command.
- Now type the below command in the command prompt to enter into fastboot/bootloader mode on your device.
adb reboot bootloader
- Download the TWRP file from the download section above and rename the downloaded image file to recovery.img for convenience.
- Navigate to the path where you’ve placed the TWRP image and open a command prompt in that folder by pressing Shift + Right click in any empty space inside the folder, and select Open command window here from the Windows context menu.
- Now type the below command to flash TWRP recovery on your device.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Now you can reboot the device using the below command.
That’s it. Now you have successfully installed TWRP recovery on your device.
Phase 3: Root your Device
Now all you need to do is to flash the SuperSU binary from the custom recovery to root your device. If you don’t know how, follow the step-by-step from below.
- Download the latest SuperSU zip from the downloads section and transfer it to your device’s storage.
- Now boot your device into the recovery mode. To do this:
- Switch off your Moto X Style device.
- Now press and hold the Power + Volume Down buttons simultaneously until you see the recovery mode on your device.
- Now that you’re in recovery, it’s best to make a nandroid backup of your device. If you’re not sure of the procedure, follow our definitive guide on how to take a nandroid backup on various recoveries.
- In the recovery, tap the Install ZIP button and select the SuperSU zip to flash it. For more detailed instruction for flashing zips on different recoveries, follow our definitive guide here.
- Once the SuperSU zip is flashed, reboot your device by selecting the Reboot system option from the recovery menu.
- To verify if the device is rooted or not, install the below app and open it to verify.
That’s all! Reach us in the comments section below for any queries or assistance regarding the process in the tutorial. Also, do suggest any modifications or additions to this simple guide, your feedback is important to improve our content and services.
If you find our tutorial useful, kindly share this tutorial with others using the share buttons below. Remember, Sharing is Caring!