LG sure has made some huge success with their latest and greatest series of devices, and the latest one in line is the LG G4, the phone which claimed the world’s best phone’s camera for quite some time, which was then overtaken by the almighty Galaxy S6. This doesn’t change the fact that LG G4 runs on a skinned Android version, and Android as we all know is a very versatile OS. This makes users such as us hungry with customizing the device.
Before you can do anything powerful to any Android device, including the LG G4, you’d need a bootloader which is unlocked, and a Custom Recovery like TWRP installed. Having your device rooted is the cherry on top of the cake. With these three requirements fulfilled, you can probably turn your Android device into a beast, and can make the most out of it. However, the method in unlocking the bootloader of the LG G4 is kind of unlike the other devices, which are simply a chain of commands. Here we have a simple guide to Unlock LG G4 Bootloader without a hunch.
Unlocking the bootloader of a device and installing custom modules is deemed hazardous and you might end up with a bricked device in worst case scenario. Warranty may be void of your device either temporarily or permanently if you follow the procedure in this tutorial. You alone are responsible for the consequences, we won’t be liable if any damage occurs to your device even though we’re confident that the process works and is tested by many users. However, you can reach us for assistance in the comments section.
- Charge your device above 60% to make sure it doesn’t die in the middle of the process which may be fatal sometimes.
- Make a backup of everything on your device so that you can restore the files if something goes wrong. Here’s the usual checklist:
- Install proper drivers on your PC. If you haven’t installed them already, you can follow our detailed USB driver installation guide.
- Setup ADB and Fastboot files on your PC. If you don’t know how, follow our detailed guide on how to setup ADB and Fastboot on your PC.
- Prepare your device:
- Enable developer options: Go to your device’s Settings » About phone » Scroll to the bottom and tap on “Build number” seven times to enable developer options.
- Enable USB Debugging: Go to your device’s Settings » Developer options » tick the “USB debugging” check-box (sometimes listed as Android Debugging)
Step-By-Step Installation Guide
- Connect your LG G4 to the PC using a USB cable and make sure it’s detected. If not make sure that you’ve installed proper USB drivers and enabled USB debugging.
- Once detected, tap on the USB icon in the notifications panel and select MTP file transfer mode.
- Open the command prompt in the PC and type the below command:
- To confirm that your device is recognized by ADB, a message will appear “List of devices attached” along with your device serial number.
- Once you find your device’s serial number appearing in the message then type the below command in the command prompt to reboot into fastboot mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- Now, to attain your device’s specific ID number, type in the following code in the CMD window.
fastboot oem device-id
- Note down the unique code, and head over to LG’s website, with this link. Scroll down to find the option which reads ‘Start Unlocking The Bootloader‘. Click on the option, and log in with your personal details. Now is the time when you enter the unique code you’ve previously attained via CMD. You’ll also require your IMEI number.
- Once you click on the button, an E-Mail will be sent to you with the unlock.bin file. Transfer it onto your PC if it isn’t already there, and then copy it to the ADB folder which you are currently working within.
- Open up CMD once again, and with your LG G4 into the fastboot mode, enter the following code below.
fastboot flash unlock unlock.bin
- This might take some time depending on your PC’s environment, and once done, reboot your LG G4 by either pressing down and holding the power key, or simply typing in the code in the CMD window.
That’s all! Reach us in the comments section below for any queries or assistance regarding the process in the tutorial. Also, do suggest any modifications or additions to this simple guide, your feedback is important to improve our content and services.
If you find our tutorial useful, kindly share this tutorial with others using the share buttons below. Remember, Sharing is Caring!